وزارة التربية والتعليم
إدارة التقويم والامتحانات
المادة: اللغة الإنجليزية
1121/تمارين تدريبية للصف الثاني عشر للقسمين العلمي والأدبي للعام الدراسي 1122
الفصل الدراسي الثالث
I. Reading (60 marks)
Read the following text and answer the questions by circling a, b, c or d. (3 marks each question)
Making a backyard mud or clay oven like the “tanoor” is a great
family project, and once completed, you will be able to make
fantastic breads, “harees” or grilled fish. In order to build such an
oven you need sand, mud, firebricks, newspaper and water.
Step 1. To start, you need to mix 1 bucket of clay with 4 buckets of
sand. Then add water to make thick mud. After that, add straw and
mix. Keep adding straw until the mixture is no longer sticky.
Step 2. Make a fireproof base for your oven. A good base is a layer
of rocks. Then lay about 8 inches of mud on top of the rocks. For
the floor, lay 4 inch-thick firebricks on top of the mud.
Step 3. To build the oven, put a pile of sand on top of the firebricks
and add water, as needed, so it will stick together. When it is dome-
shaped, cover it with wet newspaper.
Step 4. Lay about 4 inches of mud on top of the newspaper. Shape
the top of the mud layer inwards as you go up, and press the mud
together tightly. Don’t worry about the doorway. You will cut this
Step 5. When the mud is completely dry, cut a hole where the
doorway will be and start removing the sand as it is easy to take it
away. Stop when you reach the newspaper layer. Remove the rough
edges of the doorway so it becomes smooth and even. The height of
the doorway should be 65% of the height of the oven, so as to allow
enough airflow into the oven.
Step 6. When ready to use, light a big fire in the oven, and let it
burn for a few hours. Sweep out all the ash, wait for about half an
hour and your oven is ready.
1. Step number 1 is about ___________.
a. planning for the project
b. finding the material
c. choosing the location
d. preparing the material
2. Straw should be added to the mud to make the mixture ___________.
3. The word lay in step 2 is similar in meaning to ___________.
a. take off b. break out
b. move in d. put down
4. The fireproof base of the oven is made of ___________.
5. The word shape in Step 4 is a/an ___________.
6. Which of the following affects the airflow in the oven?
a. The height of the doorway
b. The fire in the oven
c. The shape of the doorway
d. The quality of the oven
7. The word ash in Step 6 is similar in meaning to ___________.
8. Sand is the most suitable material for shaping the dome of the oven because it ___________.
a. can be easily removed
b. is a natural material
c. makes the oven stronger d. is the cheapest material
9. Where does the following sentence best fit?
“For example, if your oven was 20 inches tall, then your door should be about 13 inches tall.”
a. Step 2
b. Step 3
c. Step 4
d. Step 5
10. This text is mainly about ___________ homemade ovens.
a. the advantages of
b. how to cook using
c. the process of making
d. the history of
Read the following text and answer the questions by circling a, b, c or d.
Imaginary worlds or virtual worlds are computer-based environments. Here you can
create a realistic, digital image of yourself and then interact and socialize with others.
Virtual worlds offer key opportunities for enrichment in the training, education,
medical and business sectors.
For example, in a virtual world, a student who studies design can walk into a room,
put furniture in it and get a real sense of space. The student can also change the
environment with colour and furniture. In many areas, few classroom experiences can
offer the same level of reality.
Just as in the real world, there’s good and bad in virtual worlds. This does not mean
there is no value in experiencing some of the risks of life in an online environment.
Protective behaviour is essential. Learners should know what personal information
not to give out. They should also know how to respond when asked for personal
details. These skills are a must in today’s technological world.
However, there are some ugly aspects to any virtual world. There is a belief that
virtual worlds attract a higher number of criminals than what exists in real life. This
is probably true. This is because there is a risk of coming into contact with unwanted
images or individuals in most interactive online environments. Another aspect is the
high cost. Kids may need to spend much money on decorating their virtual worlds,
because some items like high fashion clothes need to be bought online.
The only way to get away from this is to provide all users with protective strategies,
such as the ability to determine what is right and when to turn the computer off. This
is a role educators must take very seriously.
11. The writer defines a virtual world as a/an ___________ one.
12. According to paragraph 2, a design student can ___________ by using virtual worlds.
a. make new friends b. talk to his family
c. create and experiment d. take examinations
13. We can infer from paragraph 3 that the writer ___________.
a. opposes the use of virtual worlds
b. finds no value in facing online risks
c. is against investing in virtual worlds
d. promotes preparing for virtual worlds
14. The opposite of the word personal in paragraph 3 is ___________.
Complete the following table with information from paragraph 4.
Negative Aspects of Virtual Worlds
15. __________________________________________________ ______________.
16. __________________________________________________ ______________.
17. __________________________________________________ ______________.
18. The word interactive in paragraph 4 is a/an ___________.
19. The word determine in paragraph 5 is similar in meaning to ___________.
20. The purpose of this text is to discuss the ___________ of virtual worlds.
a. development b. background
c. pros and cons d. programming
II. Writing (40 marks)
A. 1. Sentence Writing (15 marks)
Write two simple and three complex / compound sentences about the pictures below.
1. (Simple Sentence)
2. (Simple Sentence)
3. (Compound/Complex Sentence)
4. (Compound/Complex Sentence)
5. (Compound/Complex Sentence)
A.2. Essay Writing (25 marks)
Write an essay of about 200 words discussing the following topic:
Some people prefer to spend their summer holidays in their home countries because it is cheaper and
encourages local tourism. Other people, however, prefer to spend their holidays abroad because they
believe that visiting foreign countries will enrich their experiences and skills.
Discuss the above statement and give specific reasons to support your ideas and views.