RELATIVE CLAUSE (Who / Which / where)
* A clause is apart of sentence.
* A relative clause tells us which person or thing ( or what kind of person or thing) the speaker means.
Ex) The woman who lives next door is a doctor.
(Relative clause tells us which woman).
Ex) We know a lot of people who live in London.
( it tells us what kind of people ).
• We use WHO in a relative clause when we are talking about people (not things). We use WHO instead of (he/she/they). We also can use (that) instead of WHO.
Ex) The man who lives next door is very friendly.
• We can’t leave the relative pronoun out if it is the sub of the relative clause. Ex) we can’t say : The man lives next door is friendly.
• When we are talking about things we use WHICH or that in a relative clause.
Ex) Where is the cheese? – It was in the fridge.
Where is the cheese which was in the fridge ?
• That is more usual than which.
• When who or which is the obj we can leave it out.
Ex) The woman was away on a holiday.
I wanted to see her.
The woman who I wanted to see was away on a holiday.
The woman I wanted to see was away on a holiday.
Ex) That is the blouse. I like it.
That is the blouse which I like. That is the blouse I like.
Where Replace place references.
The building is new. I live in it.
The building where I live is new.
• The girls who serve in the shop are Ahmad's daughters.
• The book is about a man who deserts his wife.
• The film is about a group of people who are trapped in a lift.
• This is the shirt. I bought it yesterday.
This is the shirt which I bought yesterday
• This is the company. We work in it.
This is the company which we work in.
• I dont know the place.I bought this book from.
Idont know the place where I bought this book.
choose the correct answer:
1) She attended the meeting ………………………….….. was held last week.
(who, when, which, whom)
2) Ahmad sent the message ………………….. Mr. Barkat asked for.
(which, who, whose, whom)
3) I have read the book ……………..….. I borrowed from you yesterday.
(who, whose, where, which)
4) I can’t remember the book ……………..you gave me.
( who , when , which )
5) sometimes we cant remember the place .........we keep some dear things.
6) its the people not computer,............run the world.
7) people in general,like visiting the places...........they lived their childhood.
8) its drivers,not cars................make accidents.